His Own Where
By June Jordan
Publisher: T.Y. Crowell & Co.
Current & Digital Publisher: The Feminist Press at CUNY
Reading Level: Ages 9 & Up
Children’s Books Finalists That Year:
- Jan Adkins for The Art and Industry of Sandcastles
- John Donovan for Wild in the World
- Virginia Hamilton for The Planet of Junior Brown
- June Jordan for His Own Where
- Ursula K. Le Guin for The Tombs of Atuan
- Robert C. O’Brien for Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh
- Cheli Duran Ryan for Hildilid’s Night
- Marilyn Sachs for The Bears’ House
- William Steig for Amos & Boris
- Clyde Watson for Father Fox’s Pennyrhymes
Children’s Books Winner That Year: Donald Barthelme for The Slightly Irregular Fire Engine or The Hithering Thithering Djinn
Judges That Year: Paul Heins, Lore Segal, Jean Stafford
The Year in Literature: Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh by Robert C. O’Brien won the Newbery Medal.
More Information: Toni Morrison said of Jordan’s tireless efforts as both a writer and political activist, "In political journalism that cuts like razors, in essays that blast the darkness of confusion with relentless light; in poetry that looks as closely into lilac buds as into death's mouth... [Jordan] has comforted, explained, described, wrestled with, taught and made us laugh out loud before we wept...I am talking about a span of forty years of tireless activism coupled with and fueled by flawless art."
Buy the Book: