Bert Breen’s Barn
By Walter D. Edmonds
Publisher: Little, Brown & Co.
Current Publisher: Syracuse University Press
Digital Publisher: Not Available
Reading Level: Ages 3 & Up
Children’s Literature Finalists That Year:
- Eleanor Cameron for To the Green Mountains
- Norma Farber for As I Was Crossing Boston Common
- Isabelle Holland for Of Love and Death and Other Journeys
- David McCord for The Star in the Pail
- Nicholasa Mohr for El Bronx Remembered
- Brenda Scott Wilkinson for Ludell
Children’s Literature Winner That Year: Walter D. Edmonds for Bert Breen’s Barn
Judges That Year: Paula Fox, Ethel Heins, William Jay Smith
The Year in Literature: The Grey King by Susan Cooper won the Newbery Medal.
More Information: Edmonds is perhaps best known for his 1936 book Drums Along the Mohawk, which was on the bestseller list for over two years. In 1939 it was also turned into a successful film directed by John Ford and starring Henry Fonda and Claudette Colbert.
Buy the Book: