Ramona and Her Mother
By Beverly Cleary
Publisher: William Morrow
Current & Digital Publisher: HarperCollins
Reading Level: Ages 8 & Up
Children’s Books, Fiction (Paperback) Finalists That Year:
- Lloyd Alexander for The High King
- Sue Ellen Bridgers for All Together Now
- S.E. Hinton for Tex
- Ellen Raskin for The Westing Game
Children’s Books, Fiction (Paperback) Winner That Year: Beverly Cleary for Ramona and Her Mother
Judges That Year: Not Available
The Year in Literature: Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson won the Newbery Medal.
- Beverly Cleary was also a Finalist in 1982 for Ramona Quimby, Age 8.
- Cleary is one of the most decorated children’s book authors in history. She has received, among other honors, the National Medal of Art from the National Endowment for the Arts, the Newbery Medal, the Laura Ingalls Wilder Award, over thirty-five statewide awards, and was named a “Living Legend” by the Library of Congress.
- Cleary was born in McMinnville, Oregon, and lived in a small town called Yamhill until she was school-age. Yamhill did not have a library, so Cleary’s mother arranged with the Oregon State Library to have books sent. She opened the town’s first library and acted as librarian in a lodge room over a bank.
Buy the Book: