World of Our Fathers
By Milton Meltzer
Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Current Publisher: Out of Print
Digital Publisher: Not Available
Reading Level: Not Available
Children's Books Finalists That Year:
- Natalie Babbitt for The Devil's Storybook
- Bruce Buchenholz for Doctor in the Zoo
- Bruce Clements for I Tell a Lie Every So Often
- James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier for My Brother Sam Is Dead
- Jason Laure and Ettagale Laure for Joi Bangla! The Children of Bangladesh
- Milton Meltzer for World of Our Fathers
- Milton Meltzer for Remember the Days
- Adrienne Richard for Wings
- Mary Stolz for The Edge of Next Year
- Jane Yolen for The Girl Who Cried Flowers and Other Tales
Children’s Books Winner That Year: Virginia Hamilton for M.C. Higgins the Great
Judges That Year: Lloyd Alexander, Betsy Hearne, Nat Hentoff
The Year in Literature: M.C. Higgins the Great by Virginia Hamilton also won the Newbery Medal.
- Meltzer was also a Finalist in 1969 for Langston Hughes, in 1975 for Remember the Days, in 1977 for Never to Forget: Jews of the Holocaust, and in 1981 for All Time, All Peoples: A World History of Slavery.
- Before becoming an author, Meltzer was a public relations executive for the pharmaceutical company Pfizer. Traveling the country for Pfizer enabled Meltzer to do research at historical societies, local archives, and museums and collect nearly 1,000 illustrations that he then used when he began his career writing historical nonfiction and novels.
Buy the Book: