Ramona Quimby, Age 8
By Beverly Cleary
Current & Digital Publisher: HarperCollins
Reading Level: Ages 8 & Up
Children’s Books, Fiction (Hardcover) Finalists That Year:
- Beverly Cleary for Ramona Quimby, Age 8
- Deborah Hautzig for Second Star to the Right
- Mildred D. Taylor for Let the Circle Be Unbroken
- Cynthia Voigt for Homecoming
Children’s Books, Fiction (Hardcover) Winner That Year: Lloyd Alexander for Westmark
Judges That Year: Not Available
The Year in Literature: A Visit to William Blake's Inn: Poems for Innocent and Experienced Travelers by Nancy Willard won the Newbery Medal.
- Beverly Cleary was also a Finalist in 1981 for Ramona and Her Mother.
- Cleary is one of the most decorated children’s book authors in history. She has received, among other honors, the National Medal of Arts from the National Endowment for the Arts, the Newbery Medal, the Laura Ingalls Wilder Award, over thirty-five statewide awards, and was named a “Living Legend” by the Library of Congress.
- Cleary was born in McMinnville, Oregon, and lived in a small town called Yamhill until she was school-age. Yamhill did not have a library, so Cleary’s mother arranged with the Oregon State Library to have books sent. She opened the town’s first library and acted as librarian in a lodge room over a bank.
Buy the Book: