Homesick: My Own Story
By Jean Fritz
Current & Digital Publisher: Puffin
Reading Level: Ages 8 & Up
Children’s Books, Fiction (Hardcover) Finalists That Year:
- Lloyd Alexander for The Kestrel
- Edward Fenton for The Refugee Summer
- Virginia Hamilton for Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush
- Zibby Oneal for A Formal Feeling
Children’s Books, Fiction (Hardcover) Winner That Year: Jean Fritz for Homesick: My Own Story
Judges That Year: Not Available
The Year in Literature: Dicey’s Song by Cynthia Voigt won the Newbery Medal.
- Homesick: My Own Story was also a Newbery Honor Book.
- In 2003, Jean Fritz was awarded the National Humanities Medal by President Bush, an honor given each year to up to twelve recipients who have “deepened the nation’s understanding of the humanities.”
- Jean Fritz was a Finalist for Children’s Books, Nonfiction (Hardcover) in both 1981 for Where Do You Think You’re Going, Christopher Columbus? and 1982 for Traitor: The Case of Benedict Arnold.
Buy the Book: