Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush
By Virginia Hamilton
Publisher: Philomel Books (Penguin Group USA Inc.)
Current Publisher: Amistad (HarperCollins)
Digital Publisher: Open Road Integrated Media
Reading Level: Ages 13 & Up
Children’s Books, Fiction (Hardcover) Finalists That Year:
- Lloyd Alexander for The Kestrel
- Edward Fenton for The Refugee Summer
- Virginia Hamilton for Sweet Whispers, Brother Rush
- Zibby Oneal for A Formal Feeling
Children’s Books, Fiction (Hardcover) Winner That Year: Jean Fritz for Homesick: My Own Story
Judges That Year: Not Available
The Year in Literature: Dicey’s Song by Cynthia Voigt won the Newbery Medal.
- Virginia Hamilton won both the National Book Award for Children’s Books and the Newbery Medal in 1975 for her book M.C. Higgins the Great. She was a National Book Award Finalist in 1972 for The Planet of Junior Brown.
- Over the course of her career Hamilton was awarded the Coretta Scott King Book Award, the Boston Globe-Horn Book Award, the Laura Ingalls Wilder Award, and many others.
Buy the Book: