What Jamie Saw
By Carolyn Coman
Publisher: Front Street Books (Boyds Mills Press)
Current & Digital Publisher: Namelos
Reading Level: Ages 14 & Up
YPL Finalists That Year:
- Carolyn Coman for What Jamie Saw
- Nancy Farmer for A Girl Named Disaster
- Helen Kim for The Long Season of Rain
- Han Nolan for Send Me Down a Miracle
YPL Winner That Year: Victor Martinez, Parrot in the Oven: Mi Vida
Judges That Year: Lloyd Alexander, Leonard Marcus, Gary Soto, Beatrice Sparks, Joyce Carol Thomas
The Year in Literature: The Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman won the Newbery Medal.
- Carolyn Coman was also a Finalist in 2000 for Many Stones.
- When talking about the importance and difficulty of teaching writing in classrooms Carolyn Coman said, “The idea of putting something that you care about in words, on paper, that will then be shared with others, is a scary proposition. It takes courage to do that, to let yourself be seen, to be vulnerable.”
Buy the Book: