The High King
By Lloyd Alexander
Publisher: Holt, Rinehart & Winston
Current Publisher: Squarefish (Macmillan)
Digital Publisher: Henry Holt & Co.
Reading Level: Ages 8 & Up
Children’s Literature Finalists That Year:
- Lloyd Alexander for The High King
- Patricia Clapp for Constance
- Esther Hautzig for The Endless Steppe
- Milton Meltzer for Langston Hughes
Children’s Literature Winner That Year: Meindert DeJong for Journey from Peppermint Street
Judges That Year: John Ciardi, Virginia Haviland, Zena Sutherland
The Year in Literature: The High King by Lloyd Alexander won the Newbery Medal.
- The High King was the last of five books in the Chronicles of Prydain series. The second book, The Black Cauldron, also won the Newbery Medal in 1966.
- Alexander won the National Book Award for Children’s Books in 1971 and 1982 for The Marvelous Misadventures of Sebastian and Westmark respectively. He was a Finalist in 1979 for The First Two Lives of Lukas-Kasha, in 1981 for the paperback edition of The High King, in 1982 for The Wizard in the Tree, and in 1983 for the second book of the Westmark Trilogy, The Kestrel.
Buy the Book: