The Endless Steppe
By Esther Hautzig
Publisher: T.Y. Crowell & Co.
Current Publisher: HarperCollins
Digital Publisher: None
Reading Level: Ages 10 & Up
Children’s Literature Finalists That Year:
- Lloyd Alexander for The High King
- Patricia Clapp for Constance
- Esther Hautzig for The Endless Steppe
- Milton Meltzer for Langston Hughes
Children’s Literature Winner That Year: Meindert DeJong for Journey from Peppermint Street
Judges That Year: John Ciardi, Virginia Haviland, Zena Sutherland
The Year in Literature: The High King by Lloyd Alexander won the Newbery Medal.
- In 1941, Hautzig and her entire family were exiled from their comfortable upper-class home to an impoverished village in Siberia by the Soviet army for being “capitalists and enemies of the people.” The Endless Steppe is about the years they spent in exile.
- Hautzig’s daughter, Deborah, is also a successful children’s book writer.
Buy the Book: