Where the Lilies Bloom
By Vera and Bill Cleaver
Publisher: J.B. Lippincott & Company
Current Publisher: HarperTeen (HarperCollins)
Digital Publisher: Not Available
Reading Level: Ages 10 & Up
Children’s Books Finalists That Year:
- Vera and Bill Cleaver for Where the Lilies Bloom
- Edna Mitchell Preston for Pop Corn and Ma Goodness
- William Steig for Sylvester and the Magic Pebble
- Edwin Tunis for The Young United States, 1783-1830
Children’s Books Winner That Year: Isaac Bashevis Singer for A Day of Pleasure: Stories of a Boy Growing up in Warsaw
Judges That Year: Barbara Bader, Frank Jennings, William Jay Smith
The Year in Literature: Sounder by William H. Armstrong won the Newbery Medal.
- The Cleavers met when Bill was serving in the U.S. Air Force. Together they wrote more than a dozen children’s books until Bill’s death in 1981. Vera has continued to write children’s books on her own.
- The Cleavers were also Finalists in 1971 for Grover, in 1974 for The Whys and Wherefores of Littabelle Lee, and in 1979 for Queen of Hearts.
Buy the Book: