The Star in the Pail
By David McCord
Publisher: Little, Brown & Co.
Current Publisher: Out of Print
Digital Publisher: Not Available
Reading Level: Not Available
Children’s Literature Finalists That Year:
- Eleanor Cameron for To the Green Mountains
- Norma Farber for As I Was Crossing Boston Common
- Isabelle Holland for Of Love and Death and Other Journeys
- David McCord for The Star in the Pail
- Nicholasa Mohr for El Bronx Remembered
- Brenda Scott Wilkinson for Ludell
Children’s Literature Winner That Year: Walter D. Edmonds for Bert Breen’s Barn
Judges That Year: Paula Fox, Ethel Heins, William Jay Smith
The Year in Literature: The Grey King by Susan Cooper won the Newbery Medal.
- McCord was also a Finalist in 1979 for One at a Time: Collected Poems for the Young.
- In McCord’s long career he wrote and edited more than forty books of poetry and prose. In a 1964 article for The New York Times McCord said of writing poetry for children: “Whatever may be said about this small but graceful art, three things should be remembered: good poems for children are never trivial; they are never written without the characteristic chills and fever of a dedicated man at work; they must never bear the stigma of I am adult, you are a child.''
Buy the Book: