One at a Time
By David McCord
Publisher: Little, Brown & Co.
Current Publisher: Out of Print
Digital Publisher: Not Available
Reading Level: Not Available
Children’s Literature Finalists That Year:
- Betty Sue Cummings for Hew Against the Grain
- Ilse Koehn for Mischling, Second Degree
- David McCord for One at a Time
- William Steig for Caleb & Kate
Children’s Literature Winner That Year: Judith and Herbert Kohl for The View from the Oak
Judges That Year: Charlotte Blount, Milton Meltzer, Elizabeth Gray Vining
The Year in Literature: Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson won the Newbery Medal.
- McCord was also a Finalist in 1976 for The Star in the Pail.
- In McCord’s long career he wrote and edited more than forty books of poetry and prose. In a 1964 article for The New York Times McCord said of writing poetry for children: “Whatever may be said about this small but graceful art, three things should be remembered: good poems for children are never trivial; they are never written without the characteristic chills and fever of a dedicated man at work; they must never bear the stigma of I am adult, you are a child.''
Buy the Book: